Search This Blog

Monday, April 18, 2011

Homemade and Altered Lamps

I don't know about anyone else, but I have a hard time finding lamps that I like at a reasonable price. The ones they show on home decor shows always look so different to what I find. Several years ago (I hate to think just how long its been) I found a wonderful glass cookie jar that I thought I would make into a lamp. I took it to a glass shop and they drilled a hole in the bottom for me. I used parts from a lamp I picked up inexpensively at garage sale, added a wooden plaque base and painted the base and lid black. Voila, one lamp for about $15. I think it needs a bigger shade, but I will keep my eyes open for one. My original idea was to fill the jar with something colourful that I could change out whenever I wanted a different look. Can't remember now what I had in mind. I guess I will leave it empty until inspiration strikes.



These next 2 lamps I picked up at Home Depot on clearance. They came as a set - 1 table lamp and 1 floor lamp. I liked the size and shapes of the lamps, but not the bronze/gold colour. The floor lamp I painted using the same wall paint I used in an adjoining room. Then I thinned white paint and applied a wash to it. The table lamp I wanted for a bedside lamp. It is difficult to see in the picture, but I painted it with a cream crackle finish. Too much of the orignal bronze showed through, so I applied a white wash over top.
Tip Junkie handmade projects

No comments:

Post a Comment